use GPS/online mapping activities with my students.
Latitude/Longitude and GPS Basics
- Longitude and Latitude Basics
- The Find Your Longitude game helps make the connection between the Earth's rotation and time zones.
- Play the The New Navigation game to learn how GPS receivers determine your location on Earth. This is a slimmed down explanation of how GPS receivers work. Includes nice graphics — including a visual that teachers can relate to Venn Diagrams.
Geocaching is a world wide treasure hunt in which people hide a "treasure" and then post the longitude and latitude coordinates, along with a little hint so that others can find it. Once found, the finder signs a log sheet and, if something is there to take, removes a trinket and leaves a trinket for the next finder. There are thousands of caches in Oregon; caches can be found all over the world!
Ideas for Classroom Use
- Letterboxing – Similar to Geocaching but it combines navigation skills with rubber stamping.
- Native American History Lesson — Excellent example of how to create a locationless cache for the classroom! No need for a GPS! See all of the Locationless Geocaches Listings.
- Oregon History Lesson series
- Over the River and through the Bridges... — Example of how to create a multi-site cache featuring community highlights.
- Atlanta or Bust! — Teach me something
- Annette Lamb\'s Geocaching with Kids resources.
- Earth Science Overlays for Google Earth
- Activities for GPS in Mathematics – Just a few activities
- Applications of GPS in Farming Unit
- GE Lessons
- Juicy Geography
Imagery Software and Global Imaging Links
- Google Earth – Free download. Very powerful and easy to use tool for viewing the geographic information of the earth. Download up-to-date overlays from Google Earth Community or Google Earth Hacks
- ZeeMaps - overview of uses on our blog HERE.
- Google Sketch-up - Free download. Enables you to build and modify 3D models quickly and easily. If you use Google Earth, Google SketchUp allows you to place your models using real-world coordinates and share them with the world using the 3D Warehouse.
- World Wind - Another free download. This application much like Google Earth but has different features such as Animated Earth, 3D Earth, Virtual Tours, and MODIS.
- Community Walk - Build your own interactive map.
- GPS Visualizer
- View Above the Earth
- Easy GPS