Across the country, school districts, students, parents and teachers are struggling with the effects of COVID-19 on how to operate schools, offer instruction and ensure students continue to progress. In Oregon, very few schools will be able to have their first day of school with all K-12 students on-site in a school building.
Despite the ever-changing landscape of Oregon Health Authority (OHA) and Oregon Department of Education (ODE) guidelines and requirements, Eastern Oregon school districts continue to develop solutions. With the support of the InterMountain ESD, 18 school districts have Virtual Learning Academies, which are programs that offer online instruction with many benefits for districts and students/families alike.
Some of the advantages are:
- Students remain enrolled in their own home school district
- All grades are taught by local licensed teachers
- Students have the flexibility to combine online and on-site classes
- Students can participate in extracurricular activities (athletics, music, clubs, etc.)
- Access to learning labs for academic support & enrichment
- Technology and internet access support is provided
To read the entire article: Virtual Learning Academies